Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Year 2.5

Year 2.5 was my best in preaching yet, inspired by my beloved Doris and dreams of her. On Monday I had lunch with a coworker and bought roses for Doris instead of the usual lilies. I walked Fa Yuen street to let the lunch go down. After a swim and a nap I had dinner with a coworker from another church, hearing his personal, ministerial and family journey and struggles. The healing might take some time.

Day 2 a funny thing happened after my swim. A small dog barked at me in the morning by the lift. I asked the dog, why are you reasonable無理取鬧? The owner pointed to the big dog that stood behind me. I had mistaken the small dog's barking was directed at me. The work day was fast and furious as I had to preach Proverbs 31 on Sunday and it's been a while since I last looked at the sermon I had prepared months ago, minus illustrations and introduction/conclusion. Praise God, at the end of the day I got two points down.

Wednesday was a big day. First the 2017 preaching class for new coworkers got off to a great start. Two pastors' wives asked for permission to join, so did two fellowship pastoral assistants. At night the deacons meeting was lively, ending at 1145pm. Progress was slow but participation had improved and unity was present. It was one of the best meetings we had because of the openness to views.

Day 4 To remember Doris' monthly loss on the 22nd, I cut my hair bald yesterday, like I did last month, since the first anniversary. My buddy who cut my hair was shocked that I kept the bald look. Today I also put on the shirt Doris borrowed from me for her first operation because all others rub her skin the wrong way. A friend in our local café said I look like a triad boss with my bald head and black and white Hawaiian shirt. I was not happy that a leader said that a vocal dissenter I hardly talked to told others I agreed with his viewpoint. That's how people go down as victims, but it's a waste of time defending myself.There was also a publisher's article on our new book as a bonus
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1617111494998255&id=100000982595692&refid=8&__tn__=%2As

On Friday I woke to a dream of Doris eagerly getting a free bag, very much like the one I got from CCOWE. I carried it for her because she was in pain. In the dream I also got her a bagel that she wanted to eat. I got home unusually early on a Friday because there was no fellowship activity.

Day 6 I had morning massage for my hand that was slowly healing. I had lunch with two coworkers, then started working on a new sermon. At night an intern gave a reasonably good message at fellowship. I also heard amazing news from a new immigrant's wife that they have both passed an insurance exam to qualify as agents, relieving them of the economic losses they suffered since arriving in HK - one of my prayer items because I really did not know how things could work out for them. The best news of the day was I finally finished revising the Grammar Bible, removing the particles with an article "the."

On Sunday I woke to another dream of Doris, a bonus second dream in a week. This time I was boiling porridge so that we can have porridge, Doris' favorite, after we get home for an outing with a friend. I was anxious preparing, but Doris was all excited. On top of that I was busy  reheating food for friends. The Sunday sermon was one of my best in tribute to Doris:
A VIRTUOUS WOMAN (PROVERBS 31:10-31)
1. Be Tough and Trustworthy (10-24)
2. Be Tender and Transparent (25-27)
3. Be Treasured and Thoughtful (28-31)
I held up quite well but the in-house apology made my tears well up so that it took me some time to come up with the benediction. I was feeling the tears the night before when I decided to stand with the speaker on the podium. The rest of the day was as peaceful as it could be.

July 27, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment