Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Year 2.1

Year 2.1 was an unforgettable week because Monday was the exact date of Doris' first anniversary of loss. By 7 am Monday morning at a local cafeteria I began to put up the English version of Doris' blog, which was my goal for the day. Two and a half hours later Doris' sister and her husband arrived, coming by 10 am to pay respects to the sister she dearly missed. Her sobbing were sorely felt even in the living room where her husband and I sat, still uploading her blog. At 10:10am we took Doris' electric piano downstairs to wait for a delivery van to transport it to her sisters newly renovated house. A year after Doris' loss I could let go of the instrument because it was for a loving relative. Her sister even took the unused xylophone wrapped in plastic. Doris would dearly loved her sister to have both as her sister can occupy her time with music now in her retirement years. The sister had lovingly took an earlier six months retirement to care for Doris, what great love! After they left I went to have lunch with two buddies at Simply Life, one of Doris' favorites, where I ordered a hamburger, as she would have wanted me to because she did not want me to starve since we ate little when she was sick. After lunch we prayed, tearful and all. At night I was invited to a coworker's home for dinner. Halfway through a USA friend called me from the airport so I had to meet him because I would leave for Shanghai next day. I apologized to the family because my friend did not confirm his arrival because he had no internet access for some days in the field. It was awkward on this day but I could not ignore him and a friend with him because of my personal grief.

Day 2 was leaving for Shanghai. It was miserable at the airport where we were stranded in a plane on the runway for five and a half hours. On the plane tempers flared and quarrels ensued with the undersieged attendant. At least my three fellow sojourners from the Putonghua fellowship kept our conversation interesting and I did not feel tired, praise God. By the time we landed and ate wonton noodles it was 1230am next day. The nearest opened restaurant was ironically a HK restaurant!

On Wednesday morning, our first full day in Shanghai, we all slept in. I was actually awakened by a buddy's early text at 730am, which is an hour later than my usual waking hour. We did not wait too long after our 830am gathering to eat breakfast , which is fried bun 煎包. After breakfast we go to one of the longest and oldest shopping boulevard南京東路 in Shanghai. There people lined the streets for 粽. Most shops there are old brands. That takes us not far walking to the Bund上海灘. We stopped at Peace Hotel 和平飯店 reminiscing how Doris and I visited the hotel briefly, if only to use the restroom for hotel guests. On that occasion we were let in by a nice gentleman guest who held the door for us. Our group saw a sign that said $238 for western high tea and asked if we could order two sets for four people. The waiters gave a resounding yes because guests were few. It was money well spent because our craving was for local food. The view of the Bund was excellent from high up. I cried saying grace for the food. Later we headed to the Bund and walked for a few hours snapping photos where Doris and I used to pose two years ago. No doubt sentiments surged again where Doris used to stand at the adjacent 人民英雄紀念塔. We ate French bakery at a nearby cafeteria and lavish local Shanghai food at a store nearby our hotel. It was end of Shanghai day two, 9pm, as we returned to Okura hotel because our fifth sojourner from HK was expected to arrive.

On Thursday morning I walked out at 630 am to find out where Doris and I had coffee previously, but a sign said Open 830am, so I took my PC to work at a nearby Starbucks, returning later with the whole group to enjoy coffee. I ordered a flat white. At least I know the store is called Paras. We then had simple Shanghai breakfast and hurried to get tickets to Hangzhou. Everything was total recall on the trip. I told the group where we previously caught a bus to Westlake, and I was right! At Westlake we still had to walk more than half an hour to Shangri-la where Doris and I took pictures over high tea two years ago. I was emotional over high tea there thinking of past memories. My sojourners were great, putting me to exact spots and poses from two years ago. Earlier I couldn't answer if we took a bus home, but then I remembered we did. The only regret is not wearing the same shirt from two years ago. Returning to Shanghai we went to 新吉士 on a sojourner's request and it turned out that it was where Doris and I had dinner before. I was glad I took Doris by accident to a renowned restaurant before. Unfortunately it was closed at 10pm, so we hurried to the old diner 舊吉士 that closed at midnight, and we ate to our hearts delight at a bill of $777, an interesting number to HKers. 

On the last day I went to Starbucks early to write, then joined the group for soybean咸豆漿breakfast, followed by Paras coffee, ordering Doris' favorite mocha. Then it was time to fly home. Dinner was at HK airport. I bawled before sleeping seeing the two years before and after pictures we took on the trip.

Day 6 was back to normal. I had a great time having my first lunch with a coworker I have known for five years because he's coming to pth worship to preach the next day. We recorded his sermon over 35 minutes long but merely a few minor words mispronounced. After resting for fifteen minutes I tried to work on an upcoming men's fellowship Bible study on Gideon in Judges 7. At least I got the observation part done before having a meal with a buddy and going home for my prayer walk, which I missed for close to a week. Following a news report of a worship leader Chris Blue winning the Voice contest in USA, I searched for the song Take Me to the King that soothed my soul:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GYU5aGQV6j0

I had to be alert and on my feet Sunday because many mainland visitors were in town for a 4,000 attendees conference. It worked out well because we have less people over the long weekend as well. I helped ushered the visitors, and our fellowship served some food. The speaker spoke well for a pth debut. Our visitors spoke glowingly of the reception. I was surprised a newly married young man brought soup for me, which was my dinner along with two small 粽. An intern said that I have written more books than his professors; indeed Doris and I were "productive" book partners. Another intern was sick, so I led pre-study for pth fellowship.

It's been a long road, a long, with a long, long journey ahead undoubtedly. Apart from Doris' English blog I have also enclosed the link to my 52 weeks of blogging:
http://dorisgoodfight.blogspot.com
http://etransplant.blogspot.com
I wanted to end blogging by the tenth week, but Doris appeared in my dream on the eleventh week, so I had something to tell. There's no telling when I'll stop now. Like my life nowadays, I can't think so far ahead. I have learned to press on, but not move on, which is insensitive nonsense to me. But thanks for praying for me, sharing and walking with me, plus reading our blogs, which I won't send now that the year is over, but you can check on the internet.

May 30, 2017



No comments:

Post a Comment