Saturday, January 17, 2009

Welcome to Hong Kong


Welcome to Hong Kong
After arriving in Hong Kong on Aug. 18, we bought train tickets (Octopus HK$100 cards) at the booth on the left to the "City Train" entrance. The train whisked us to our destination, Hong Kong (stopping either at Tsing Yi, Kowlooon, or Hong Kong), where we paid $90 (US$1=HK$7.8) for a taxi to take us to Kornhill Gardens, $15 for luggages included. It was really convenient, inexpensive and painless, even with 4 big luggages and 4 carry-ons, 2 laptops. Porters were at the destinations preparing carts/trolleys for users.

The next day we proceeded to the Immigration Department in Wan Chai to get a temporary identity card as a walk-in, lining up with a bunch of others before the office opens. We were given a 10 am appointment and, sure enough, all was like clock work. Next we went for early lunch at the nearby Crystal Jade, where I was given a lesson on finer dining. It seems the definition of fine dining is when 10% gratuity is included in your total bill. It was initimidating collecting the coins left from the change the waitress handed to me in a folder, with the waitress hovering beside holding it. After that, Wife and her sister said to leave the change behind next time in "high-end (gao dang) restaurants." Now they tell me.

On Thursday we took the 8:45 am ferry to Macau because Wife had to get some things done there. We exited to the left and within walking distance was the beautiful and unique Fisherman's Wharf, second to none of its kind. The architecture reminds me of Malaysia's Malacca, another Portugese colony. The weather report the rest of the day was ominous. A typhoon was brewing, possibly the worst of its kind, and it was expected to touch down the next day, the date of our return ticket to Hong Kong. Passengers may change their tickets to another time within the day, but not to another day. Early the next morning we rushed to the ferry but all services were canceled that day due to the No. 8 typhoon weather, which last occurred five years ago. About 150 plane flights in Hong Kong were grounded. By now, our hotel privileges have expired, so we decided to find a hotel near the ferry before cars are turned away from crossing the bridge to the city in a typhoon. We instructed the taxi driver to drop us nearby an inexpensive hotel.

What happens next is most amusing, which is a reminder that there is no escaping from former churchh members even half the world away. We bumped into a youth from church and his father on the way to the hotel. I vaguely remembered his mother in US telling me five days ago his son was leaving on a trip, which was the reason he was not at church the last day I was in the States. Before we were able to leave the next day, we had bumped into one another four times in the hotel lobby, even staying at the same floor.

At the end of the first week (Monday) in HK, I have finally found my bearing, all in the form of an old friend - Starbucks! Sunday was the worst day so far. I was so spent and frustrated due to the list of things to do. After attending ECC's 9:45 am service in TST's YMCA, we had lunch and headed to Mei Foo to hunt for an apartment, altogether viewing seven units, and then we proceeded to Yuen Long to scout China Bible Seminary's new location. At the subway in New Yuen Long Center, we waited in vain for two mini-buses to stop for us due its limited capacity, wasting 30 minutes in the process. We finally found the seminary after half an hour walking in the blazing sun searching for its entrance, which is right next door to the Vineyard Gardens. Returning to the subway, we stopped for a drink before we dropped into another realty office, this time seeing four apartments in the center itself. It was 6:45 pm by the time we reached home. After dinner, I trekked out by myself to Pacific Coffee, ordered a drink and read the papers for m,y downtime.

There is no "air" to breathe or place to relax in HK, so I have to stake out my space, which I did not realize I need. On Monday, Wife told me she was heading to Starbucks to do some work due to the stifling heat at home, her sister's place. At first I thought she meant the Starbucks that is at least a bus stop away, but then she said, "Oh, you didn't know a new one opened in the mall across the street?" Seated on the sofa enjoying reading Herald Tribune and Wall Street Journal provided there but not at other coffee places, I realized I was home. Just as new immigrants to the States are dismayed at USA papers' extended coverage of local news and limited view of foreign news, I felt the same way about South China Morning Post and China Daily News. The local papers are rich in content but not in commentary, focuing on activities but not analysis. I had trouble with the electrical outlet there, but an employee single-mindedly solved it.

In the first eight days, I have cramps four times in my sleep - one longer than others, and three blisters to show, two on my left foot and one on the right. We must have walked 5 miles yesterday (Aug 26), walking from the Central Libary to Causeway Bay with a full-size laptop on my backpack in search of a cellphone and back. Unfortunately we cannot do a thing without the proof of a local address (utilities), including opening a bank account and getting a credit card. From Causeway Bay we took the subway back to Quarry Bay, walking endlessly in the local farmers market for fresh produce and ending up with three mini plastic bags in each of our hands - mine with tofu, fish and mushrooms. We decided to shop at the supermarkets in the future in return for higher prices but less walking. Oh, I also got online with my laptop for the first time at the Central Library, which offers free wifi.

I have finally sent out my first weeks' blog, the reward is reading friends' comments (see next blog). Yesterday (Aug 27) was a good day. I have mastered the art of minimum sweating, so seeing a pastor in Lai Chi Kok and house hunting in Mei Foo and then in Sheung Wan were not so bad after all. The average rent in Mei Foo's Ching Lai Court is $9,000 and in Sheung Wan's Hong Wai Garden is $12-13k. The secret to sweating less is to leave home by 8 am, walk in the shade provided by the tall buildings and, if need to, take a bus to connect from the subway to your destination. Further, the fan is working overtime when I use the computer, sleep at night (not directly though at the person) and laze in the living room. I am even considering turning the fan on when I exercise. Nowadays, I pay the $2 bus fare instead of climbing the countless steps (188, I counted!) leading to my sister-in-law's place.

Tipping is not an exact science. If 10% is included in the check, leave the coins behind but take the bills. If dinner in the air-conditioned neighborhood diner, leave less than $20 for less than $400 bill, which was what I saw Wife did. If in local eatery (wonton noodles), tipping is not expected. If relatives change the rules, I'll let you know. One time they talked about taking the leftover coins in a 10% inclusive restaurant. If they bend more rules, I will make my own rules.

I had dinner with a friend in Shatin last night (Aug 28). Taking the subway by myself there for the first time is a challenge. Fearing I did not have enough Octopus fare for the return trip, I added $100 to the card. The first two times were a failing venture because the money did not slip into the slot, so I have withdraw my Octopus card. When the first time failed, I shifted to the machine of the the successful user next to me, thinking mine must be fauty. Reading the instructions the second failed attempt, I realized that the user must wait till a green light flashes before slipping the bills into the slot. The third time was a bust, too, which I did not reliaze until I had crossed the turnstiles, which indicated that my Octopus card was till at $59. I was sure I had shoved the money in as prompted by the green light, but now I realized I may have ejected my card before value was added. No wonder I remember seeing a customer assitance light flashing. At first I thought I bumped into buttons by mistake, but I was in a hurry to check. Well, I would not have figured out what I did wrong anyway. Another lost cost?

Today is the last day of the month, and tomorrow is my first day at the office. I gave up trying to beat the heat, so I bought singlets by myself today. Sweating on the first day at your job may give others a different idea and the phrase a different connotation. Ringing up a purchase at a HK departmet store is quite different from elsewhere. The customer does not go straight to the cashier; instead a sales rep will write an order for the customer to pay at the counter before he returns with his paid receipt in hand as proof to the same rep to obtain his purchase. Weird, isn't it? A sales rep wrote up a $40 slip for the single round-neck T-shirt singlet I liked before I saw a special offer of $43 for two T-shirts for a different brand. I took the two-piece offer to the register and bought that instead and did not hand in the former write-up or return it. I wonder if that is allowed? Guilt feelings followed me though. Can you believe that the average T-shirt here is more expensive than the Hanes 3-piece pack at Target? I still resist exchanging my thick socks for polyester socks. September weather promises to be more favorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment