Saturday, January 17, 2009

Unfinished Business, Nov 2008

I finally got to use a washer for the first time (Nov 3). Before that we were using a tall bucket and a flat bucket to coordinate washing. The tall bucket is to soak and rinse clothes, and the empty flat bucket is to contain the clothes while the dirty water is changed and the tall bucket is refilled four times. The chore, alien to creatures used to convenience and comfort, is not such a hardship once you are used to it. I welcome a washer but I sure welcome a dryer more, so that I don't need to do ironing, which I seldom do anyway, so pardon the wrinkles on my clothes. I bought a few shirts to try out which ones need less ironing - to be my future brand of choice.

The next day (Nov 4) IKEA delivered the three book shelves I ordered to accomdate Wife's books, which were still in their unpacked boxes in the living room. Due to space constrain in Hong Kong, the over 6 feet "Billy" shelves I ordered were taller than usual. Two of them are in the guest room and one in the living room. The shelves are HK$499 each and assembly assembly and delivery are 10% each. We cannot help it, there's hardly a nail, a hammer or a plier in our house.

It might surprise you to know that we have a guest room even though our flat is merely 480 feet. Yes, we do provide friends lodging in land scarce Hong Kong. Last week we met Wife's former classmate who is presently living in Yuen Long's California Gardens, where the houses are more than 2,000 sq. feet. I surprised myself when I asked, "What do people do with over 2,000 sq. feet of living?" The irony is that my former home in Corona is more than 2,500 sq. feet and now I survive quite well on 480 sq. feet. Surprisingly, the unpacked 600-700 lbs of books covered only two shelves, I have one to spare. The living room now looks pleasant without the stacked boxes lying around. If only the building management company would hurry with the clothesline, which we do not have in our flat (apartment). Drying clothes without the dryer is hard enough.

Where's the recession? On the day (Nov 16) Hong Kong news reported the city is officially in a recession - two successive shrinking economic quarters, we could not find a lunch table at Maxim Palace in Tai Koo. How ironic. At 11:30 am we were designated # 130 plus but the immediate numbers called were in the # 90 plus, so customers clearly had to wait. There was no way in the world we would wait that long, so we wandered to the nearby Peking Garden 北京樓 just a few stores away where there was no waiting. The two are sister restaurants.

I am obligated to write this since today (Nov 29) is Thanksgiving weekend in USA. We have been in Hong Kong for 3 months and 13 days since our Aug 18 arrival. I am most thankful for the opportunity to be a transplant here after 20 years in USA. We had our share of sacrifices - house, comfort and space - but it was all worth it. Wife said I have discovered that teaching Bible courses fit me like a glove. It does, as the students no doubt agree. This goes to show, as the spouse says, that I have talents lazy to use! The last nine years in USA brought out the best of my teaching skills to in the field of preaching, but teaching Bible courses is just as satisfying, if not more. Students are excited and encouraged by the stride they have made in exposition, especially after working through Ezra, Nehemiah and Esther. Believe me, they know more those books than me now. Usually, I let them do the talking, letting them see their unlimited potential unleashed before their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment