Sunday, December 11, 2016

Week 26

Week twenty six was a contrast of emotions being in Hong Kong and USA. I spent most of Monday working on my revised grammar Bible to support a loving color-challenged friend and students who want me to clearer mark the verbs. In between I had lunch with a neighbor and coached a Bible study leader over dinner.
On Tuesday Doris' friend from Australia came to our home to pay respect to Doris. He was the first. I showed from my phone some of her latest photos. There is no better friend than Doris, even to lost and lonely souls.
We switched our department meeting to Tuesday for my upcoming flight to USA. I trust my coworkers can do a good job in my three week's presence. We had a staff transferred two weeks ago but all is OK so far.
On Wednesday morning I hurried over to cheung sha wan to get my international driver's license just in case I fail it in USA. They even accepted my old photos for the license number, so I was glad. At 3 pm I had to prepare a coworker for her upcoming preaching, but the sermon needs more time.
On Thursday I worked in the morning and had lunch with coworkers before I boarded my 430pm flight to Los Angeles. Friends consensus is for me to watch movies instead of reading for my usa drivers test the next day. I watched Revenant, X-men Apocalypse and 寒戰2, all three with death and family for a theme. DiCaprio's words after death of his beloved stepson gripped me, I am not afraid of death anymore. I felt the same after Doris was gone. There are tears but not fears in me without Doris. Likewise, Magneto of X-men went on a path of destruction upon losing his wife and daughter. The bad guys kidnapped Aaron Kwok in the last movie to get at him. Family is our pride and passion. My sister picked me up in Los Angeles and we shopped while waiting for my friends who host me to get home after work.
Friday was nervous time as I had to retake my driver's license test. My host gave me a sample of 264 questions and most questions showed up at the 18 question test, where one is allowed to fail thrice. I got two wrong. Later I met with former students for lunch.
On Saturday I drove for the first time in USA to meet my predecessor in Irvine, where he had a three days meeting. He was happiest to see me. We felt we could have been good buddies if we were closer in age, kNown each other while young or had served longer together. It's a case of lonely at the top.
On Sunday I did not intend to return to my first church to worship, but it was a combined Thanksgiving gathering and there was a request to witness the baptism of a friend's daughter. At the end of worship after the benediction the tears came naturally and I had to sneak out while people were looking for me. I did not want to risk people's worry or talk, like my experience in HK. At home by myself at noon it triggered more tears.
Nov 21 USA

No comments:

Post a Comment