Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week 29

Week twenty nine was the last week of a refreshing three weeks in USA. At Monday's seminary conference I choked back tears introducing our latest book 同作門徒. Many former colleagues comforted me. The response was strong when I introduced 文法聖經, but unfortunately I just brought one to USA because it is 800 pages heavy.

The next day was a triumph and a relief of some sort  to me because I have finished revising 文法聖經 at night. It was the foremost project for me on this trip because I cannot afford the time to do it in HK due my heavy workload. Not only did I complete the Chinese version, I was crazy enough to finish and begin rechecking the English version too. The new Chinese version in bolder colors was to help a close colleague whose vision is deteriorating.

On Wednesday I met 18 former members, including grown kids, for dinner. It was hard to say grace for dinner because Doris used to join us in dinners. One family from New Jersey in town was upset at me for not seeing them personally, but I was too emotional part of the trip.

The next day was the second last day of the trip, but it may as well be the last because my flight next day is 825am in the morning. For the first time in three weeks I woke up to normal USA time. The jet lag was gone but I had to leave tomorrow. I was thankful I got back some copies of my first book 開天闢地 from a  bookstore. I discovered I did not have a copy in HK, so it was a bonus to remember to get some from the only bookstore that has it.

The return flight to HK was troublesome and taxing no matter how you envision it. I had to leave my host family's house at 530am with three luggages for  fifteen hours of travel with no computer but movies to pass the time. I have never seen so many movies in one day in my life. At least  got to see Wall-e, an old movie Doris watched with church kids. It was touching to see two altogether different robots' love for each other.

I finally got home on Saturday and caught the 530pm shuttle bus home. Home was the way it was, but Doris' sisters had brought flowers to our home by her side. I added lilies to the fading flowers. At night I took some jet lag medication.

The next day was a big day as I had to preach twice, one in indonesian and another at North Point. An old song We are the Reason reminded me emotionally of our days . Praise God , all went well. After lunch with a couple I had to dart back to answer a phone call and to join prayer meeting, a priority for Doris. After church I napped after 5pm and woke up at 10pm, after more than four hours, missing a neighbors dinner at 715pm but greeted a colleague here for surprise visit. I had to take pills to sleep again at night to counter jet lag because now my time is really messed up.

Here are my thanks to God for the USA break:
1. Updating records. I had to run thrice to the county an hour away, fill in retirement forms and send copy to tax accountant for tax purposes.
2. Close a bank account. My USA funds were depleting and I did not want to be penalized but retain our sweet joint account.
3. Passing written driving test. I erred on two of 18 questions, one less than is allowed.
4. Driving safety. I drove thrice to Riverside an hour away, twice to Orange County an hour away, once to San Diego more than two hours away and once to Santa Barbara and Solvang two and half hours away. Also thanks to a good friend who drove me to Carmel and the Big Sur.
5. Visiting churches. I attended the worship of two former churches and my sister in law's church.
6. Greeting relatives. I traveled to San Diego twice to catch up with one who was overseas on the first occasion.
7. Meeting friends. A close family had relocated to New Jersey and China but was back for a relative's wedding.
8. Attending seminary conference. Catching up to old and new faculty.
9. Host family, mentor and alum brother. The host family gave me a roof over the head, meals if needed and a night's stay in Santa Barbara. Herman is passionate as always. Got to know Paul the person rather than the professor.
10. Closure. Goodbye USA, seminary, church, relatives and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment