Monday, August 29, 2016

Week 14

Day one of week fourteen means saying goodbye to my brother as the 華福 conference starts today. David is happy to be in Taiwan, but his living habits are hard to bear, especially his long showers. However I was glad for him to be around for a change.

On Tuesday a song at the conference Doris loved 耶和華祝福满满 brought tears to my eyes as we sang it. I could remember the last time she was playing the song on her electric piano at home. At night two coworkers and I visited Shilin night market.

The next day I was asked by my retired predecessor what my plans were for the future. I reiterated I have no plans to leave Hong Kong because of my beloved Doris. I will continue with Putonghua and my predecessor's past work. Seems like the question is on people's minds more than mine.

Alum big brother paid me a visit at the conference and took me to lunch. While eating He shared that he still had tears thinking of her mother a year after she passed away and revealed that a seminary professor cried nonstop during their lunch half a year after his spouse's death. He encouraged me with the kindest words for the book同作門徒 Doris and I wrote together. Unfortunately I lost track of time and missed my coworker's speech. I couldn't kept back the tears with Paul Lai or Mike Shen, whom I bumped into during dinner time. They are my admired spiritual elders長輩, and I was glad to meet many in Taiwan, Including Gordon Siu, Felix Liu and Philemon Choi. Coworkers called me 集郵王 for my many selfies.

On Thursday the second last day of the conference I participated in a theological group to discuss how discipleship is relevant in seminary. I remarked seminaries have church growth and spiritual formation courses, but discipleship is an optional course at best. One answer drew a sharp response from me. A seminary lecturer says flippantly, No problem we can add more spiritual formation and spiritual direction, mentor and mentee groups, meet more often. I said all these is the shell, technique, skill chemistry and dynamics, but where is the meat, what is the content and where is Bible study? It seems we are substituting spirituality and therapy for discipleship, there was no reference to God's word.

Friday was the last day of the conference. The song The Longer I Serve Him the Sweeter He Grows caused me to cry hard and loud, so much that my coworker cried with me and Philemon gave me a hug. It was a long day and a long conference but I could finish my grammar Bible by day's end.

On Saturday I was glad to go home. Reaching home I kissed Doris' urn as tears welled up my eyes and I checked the barely opened lilies I bought on my birthday that was kept in the fridge for ten days. Praise God, amazingly it was still good! I rested an hour and dashed to church for night fellowship.

On Sunday morning my emotions got the better of me when I sang two songs, the same later at campus fellowship lunch with a guest and night too when I did my prayer walk. In the afternoon I attended prestudy to check if all was well with leading our new book 同作門徒. The response was good. They like the directness of the questions.

This week will be hard for me, so I covet your prayers.

Aug 29

No comments:

Post a Comment