Friday, December 31, 2010

Prayers and Wishes, Jan 2011

There is nothing more important to me than wife, health and ministry - in that order. Wife will have a check up next week to determine what the shadow on the other side means. Ministry is at a crossroad because I may have to return to the States by summer to prove domicile in sponsoring my siblings, which the immigration department announces is close. Maybe it is God's way to prevent me from getting too involved in local ministries. I am looking forward to teach my first D. Min. course in Taiwan come June 2011. On the health front, hopefully I can lose some weight as my gut had expanded a few inches since arriving in Hong Kong. Preachchrist.com made a dramatic jump to 49,717 hits last month, which is more than twice 18,403 hits on the last month of 2009. My new book and overseas teaching have certainly helped spread the word. Hopefully by the end of the year it will top 60,000 hits. I have befriended a number of neighbors, and by God's grace I hope I can lead them to Christ or to church.

I had a good start to my teaching and preaching mentoring program. After teaching a dozen of young coworkers over three hours, I had individual tutoring for two of the bunch. They were quite receptive, the atmosphere was great and the two were very teachable. I was bothered by a friend who warned me that I may suffer the consequences if the coworkers do not improve in their teaching and preaching, but I discarded that kind of negative thinking. I remind myself that failure is not a big loss if I tried to help.

We celebrated Wife's birthday this first week of the month. She did not feel like dining out on the big day since we have done it the night before and she was worried about her health, but I persuaded her to go, and we were surprised by the good quality of a restaurant in the village that we have not tried before. We talked a lot this week about what the future is like, especially if I have to return to the States to prove my domicile. I sent out the letter yesterday (8th).

This morning (10th) Frontiers missions organization did a presentation at the chapel that made me pause and reflect on missions. It was not an emotional appeal but it gave me plenty of food for thought. Maybe God is inviting me join missions full-time because the harvest is truly plentiful but the workers are few. I might know quickly enough since my attempt to sponsor my family to the States have ran into a snag. Well, never say never to God.

To my horror today (11th) I realized I wrote five new sermons only last year, two less than what I managed in the first 16 months in Hong Kong. Looking back, I am glad one of the churches I help has designated Scripture passages, making me work harder on passages I missed or avoided. The next day I had a throat infection after mentoring the younger pastors, but it was worth it seeing how much they enjoyed it.

I unexpectedly got the flu traveling to Sha Tin to preach today (16th). It was a bummer because I also had a sore throat four days ago that had not gone away. The good thing after worship was meeting Wife for lunch at Tsing Yi, where I added a salad bowl and a drink to my lunch for HK$23. At first I was critical why customers were allowed one serving only, but later I enjoyed piling all the food in one bowl, which requires a lot of skill, more than going for seconds. This goes to show that moderation can be more enjoyable in practice. The next day the doctor told me I have throat infection, so I am following the medication closely.

Yesterday (19th) Wife resumed her Bible study with Mainland students that was cut short by her illness ten month ago, when she felt something wrong with her body while waiting for the students to arrive. This time the students were an hour earlier. Wife treated the two boys and herself to dinner after the study. It is one of her few unfulfilled dreams left - to start a Bible study group with them.

Today (24th) was an emotional day for me at school as I preached on Gen. 45, where Joseph reunited with his brothers. I shed a few tears singing the song "Psalm 19," which was a special song because that was the song that moved Wife after surgery when she returned to North Point's English worship for the first time. The best thing was a student was touched by the message. If not for North Point's strict preaching calendar and text, I would have no new messages.

Yesterday (28th) I made the decision to accept the challenge of missions. Maybe turning 50 has something to do with it. Local ministry is too slow and stifling. I actually felt relieved and relaxed. It is better to put out the notice earlier so that there is more freedom to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment